Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Sob Story

  1. #1
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thats pretty funny OG! For a minute I wasn't sure if you needed a toaster or are just toasted!

    I see quite alot of the old WE appliances in my flea market/yard sale travels. The old black and very heavy oscilating table fans are pretty plentiful around here. Don't recall seeing any toasters but will keep my eyes open for you.
    I think I have something around here that might help sooth your pain. I am sure it is WE and it straps to the back of your hand to be a vibrating massager. Don't remember for sure but think it says OSTER, made by Western Electric. Have to see if I remember what box that might be in.

    WE has a long history of manufacturing many items other then audio related gear. I remember as a child, my uncle had a very serious train collection and we visited every christmas. The main controller that had probably 30 different functions was Western Electric and his pride and joy because it lifted bridges, switched tracks, blew whistles, and an entire host of other very cool operations. Uncle was a bit off but his train set was his lifes passion.

    Good story

    Gary

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Sob Story


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Nah, I wrote that sober.

    what I really wanted was to be able to post the thing to Ebay with a Buy It Now of 22 grand based on it's rarity. There are some in the museum I posted a link to, so it's also "museum quality"

    In mint condition with only one scratch, right over the serial number...

    And it's an "early model" that only did 2 slices, as opposed to the later 4 slice models considered inferior by toasterphiles.

    Seller ships worldwide, payment by Western Union or wire transfer only.

    You should have seen me in my younger days, before I calmed down. I used to tell some incredible stories then...

  3. #3
    Inactive Member David Deratany's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When I was a child, my barber used one of those on my neck and shoulders after the haircut. It made me wonder about him:-)

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    hehehe...

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner tomt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2003
    Posts
    5,483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    what the heck

    lets see a pic of your new/old toaster ...

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Sob Story


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    forums

    Not to be confused with getting parts for my older Swedish car- that would be a Saab story.

    I thought I had a chance to get a Western Electric item, quite rare. Genuinely rare, not fake Ebay rare.

    An item so rare I would ventiure 99% here have never seen one. I would bet 50 bucks a picture has never been posted to this board.

    Give up?

    The following ad was on the local Freecycle last nite.

    "I have a really old Western Electric toaster(it has a cloth cord). It
    has a chrome finish, looks really good and still toasts good. Used very
    little. I live in the North ...."

    For those not in the know...

    http://www.telcomhistory.org/vm/exhibitsSeattle13.shtml

    Quote:

    By 1906, Western Electric was the largest electrical manufacturer and distributor in the United States. And not just of telephones and related equipment . . . in fact, until 1925, Western Electric made heavy electrical equipment, power tools, and home appliances. Electric toasters, fans, irons, and even toys. We have some of these early Western Electric consumer products on display on the third floor of our museum.

    Much to my chagrin, when I picked it up, it turned out to be Western Auto rather than Western Electric.

    Yes, a toaster is a bit off topic.

    But the next time some one says " I know a lot more about this stuff' you just reply, in your best Clint Eastwood...

    " I fix my breakfast on a Western Electric toaster."

    They reply will most likely be a wide eyed "Say what?"

    I was hoping to have pics to post, but a Western Auto would be WAY off topic. Even if the thing has more chrome than an old Cafillac. Oh well- it's funky, old cloth cord and all. might be worth something on Feepay. Not enough to mend a broken heart though.
    forums

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Sob Story


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Tom, you've been so gnerous with pics, how could I refuse?

    Caveat-it's raining here and the ****** ols Sony Mavica doesn't like indoor shots. This thing is like half a megapixel.. but it shoots on floppies. Good camera is out on the farm.

    MVC 901X

  8. #8
    Inactive Member theophile's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast.Queensland.Australia.
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Old Guy,
    I'm glad this wasn't a S.O.B story.
    If it was about the Sensational Alex Harvey Band,it would have had to be a S.A.H.B story.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's a beaut, OG, but I thought it was gonna be a side-eject model like Ma had...

    Actually, the toaster may have more relevance here than one might think. Flat-wire resistance heaters pre-dated the use of flat wire for voice coils by ~ 20 years..perhaps, after staring at those glowing flat ribbons, someone had an idea... forums

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Sob Story


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    WE stopped making toasters in 1925, THAT prolly would have been a side eject.

    The one I posted is according to the donor, 1954 or so. she bought it new- a genuine one owner toaster! Still 54 years old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.